By following the simple advice below, businesses can reduce the risk of become a victim of arson.
- Keep rubbish away from buildings - if bins are set on fire and they are next to buildings, the fire can spread to the building itself
- Keep matches, lighters, petrol cans and other flammable or fire-starting materials out of sight and safe
- Consider installing security lights. If you must leave refuse in a visible and therefore vulnerable location, using security lights can help deter would-be arsonists, as they can be seen by passers by at night.
- Consider fitting security cameras - not only do they act as a deterrent but they record crimes as they occur, providing the police with essential evidence for identification and prosecution.
- Most importantly, if you see any suspicious activity in your area, contact Cambridgeshire police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.