What you can do
It is much easier to deal with an emergency if you have thought about it beforehand and planned for what you would do. Here are some top tips to help you get prepared:
- Fit a smoke alarm on each level of your home and test them regularly.
- Get the household involved - plan and practice together how to get out of the building quickly and safely if there is a fire
- Make a home emergency plan. The Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Resilience Forum has a great document to print off and work through.
- Teach children how to dial 999 to report an emergency, and what to do in an emergency
- Keep a list of important contacts
- Talk to your neighbours and get in touch with your local community groups and find out what emergency planning is going on in your area. Your local council resilience teams are good places to start.
- Make emergency kits for the home and car.