You are more at risk from a fire when asleep. So it's a good idea to check your home before you go to bed. Use this quick check list to keep your home safer from fire:
- Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading.
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances unless they are designed to be left on - like your freezer.
- Check your cooker is turned off.
- Don't leave the washing machine, dishwasher or tumble dryer on.
- Turn heaters off and put up fireguards.
- Put candles and cigarettes out properly.
- Make sure exits are kept clear.
- Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them.