If you are interested in becoming a Firefighter (control), first please complete the questionnaire below to see if the job is right for you:
- Are you genuinely interested in people?
- Can you get on with people from different backgrounds and cultures?
- Have you worked, or would you like to work, as part of a close team?
- Can you work under pressure without letting the rest of your team down?
- Can you respond quickly to problems knowing that much depends on your decision?
- Can you work accurately under pressure?
- Would you be able to deal with members of the public when they are distressed, confused or even abusive?
- Do you enjoy not knowing what is coming next?
- Are you prepared to represent Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service even when you are not at work?
- Are you prepared to commit nine weeks to your initial training, including personal study, some of which will be in your own time?
- Do you enjoy maintaining and developing your skills?
- Are you prepared to study on top of your normal working day?
- Are you prepared for the demands of working in a disciplined environment in which you will have to take instructions from other people?
- Can you accept the need to keep to rules that tell you what you can and cannot wear?
- Are you prepared to work day and night shifts, evenings, weekends and public holidays?
- Are you prepared to work with computer and communications equipment under pressure for long periods of time when need dictates?
- Are you punctual, dependable and reliable?
- Can you type at 45 words per minute with 90 per cent accuracy?
- Are you over 18?
- Do you have 3 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above including English?
If you answered yes to all of the above questions, you could be just the person we are looking for.
When we recruit for firefighter (control) we will list this on our vacancy page, so keep an eye on our website or follow us on Twitter and Facebook as we promote vacancies on our social media channels too.
When a vacancy arises, there will be an application for to complete and send back to us. If you are shortlisted you will be invited to attend a half day assessment day which incorporates job based exercises, you will then be invited to an interview which includes feedback from the personality questionnaire you will complete prior to attending.