Top tips to prevent a fire caused by your electric blanket:
- Make sure your electric blanket conforms to BS EN 60967 – if it doesn’t, replace it with one that does.
- Ensure it has a mechanism to cut the power if it begins to overheat.
- Use it only for the purpose it is intended – this includes knowing if it is an over-blanket or under-blanket style.
- Keep it flat and dry at all times - follow the manufacturer's instructions for storing it when you are not using it.
- If the blanket is not new, have it serviced before use and again every two to three years, or according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- The plug should conform to BS 1363 and contain a 3-amp fuse that conforms to BS 1362.