Equality and Inclusion
Our Commitment to Equality and Inclusion
We recognise diversity and actively promote equality and fairness in all the environments in which we operate.
We aim to achieve this by:
- Recognising, respecting and listening to the varied needs of our communities and staff
- Providing different solutions for different needs and requirements
- Valuing and encouraging better understanding of people's differences and things we have in common
- Treating everyone with dignity and respect
- Challenging prejudice and discrimination
- Fostering an inclusive and trusting culture
- Ensuring employment practices are fair and non-discriminatory.
Our policies, statements of values and means of contacting us can all be found within this Equality and Diversity section. Please use the sub-menu to find all of this information.
Equality Peer Review Assessment
In November 2014 the Service invited an equality peer team, led by the Local Government Association, to assess the organisation against the 'excellent' criteria of the fire and rescue service Equality Framework.
The team concluded that significant progress had been made since the last review in 2009 (when CFRS was assessed as 'achieving') and with some further work in a number of key areas the Service should be able to achieve the excellent award very soon.
The Local Government Association have offered a desktop re-assessment once the Service has addressed eight key recommendations, which have been built into the action plan developed from the 2015-18 strategy.
Here is a link to the full report: Equality Peer Challenge Report - PDF document