Floods can happen quickly, so don't wait until it's too late to think about preparation.
Floods can be caused by heavy rainfall so you can be vulnerable even if you don’t live by a river or waterway.
Do some research to find out:
- Whether your area has flooded before and if there is any specific flood advice for your area
- Whether you are in a flood risk area
- How to turn off your electricity and gas supplies
- What is covered by your insurance
- Who you can call if you need assistance
While it's impossible to completely flood-proof a property, there are lots of things you can do to reduce the damage flooding can cause. The Government's website has a useful guide to preparing your home for flooding.
You can subscribe to receive flood alerts in your area from the Environment Agency. Visit Gov.uk for more information.
If you need to report a flooded area, either a property or a road, you can by visiting the Cambridgeshire County Council website.