Fire in the open – March - Fenland
At 9.51pm on Monday (29) one crew from March was called to a fire in a wooded area on the A141 near March.
Firefighters arrived to find an unattended bonfire. They extinguished the fire using a hose reel and returned to their station by 10.31pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental.
When lighting a fire outdoors, please ensure you stay safe and follow our top safety tips:
- Build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges
- Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire, and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture, or batteries
- Don’t leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out. If it has to be left, damp it down with plenty of water
- Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire
- Check the weather - avoid lighting bonfires in high winds.”
More information is available in the community fire safety section.