Fire in the open – St Neots - Huntingdonshire
At 11:06pm on Tuesday (28) two crews from St Neots were called to a fire in the open on Cambridge Road, St Neots.
On arrival firefighters found 30 tonnes of household waste and garden rubbish well alight. Using two hose reels, they extinguished the fire and returned to their station by 12:30am.
The cause of the fire was accidental.
Top tips if having a bonfire:
- Build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges
- Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire, and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture, or batteries
- Don’t leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out. If it has to be left, damp it down with plenty of water
- Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire
- Check the weather - avoid lighting bonfires in high winds.
For more safety advice please see our page on bonfire safety here.