Fire in the open – Abbey Ward - Cambridge
On Wednesday (28) at 8.26pm one crew from Cambridge was called to a fire on Ditton Fields, Abbey Ward.
The crew arrived to find a bonfire in the back of a garden of a property. Firefighters used one hose reel to extinguish the fire before returning to their station by 9.30pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental
Top tips if having a bonfire:
- Build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges
- Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire, and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture, or batteries
- Don’t leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out. If it has to be left, damp it down with plenty of water
- Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire
- Check the weather - avoid lighting bonfires in high winds.
For more safety advice please see our page on bonfire safety here.