Someone in trouble in water
Stay safe in and around Cambridgeshire's waterways
- Before you jump in to a river, lake or any waterway, stop and think of the dangers.
- Hazards lie beneath the water including a fast current, rocks, tree roots and vegetation.
- Even if the sun is shining, the waterways will still be cold.
What to do if you see someone in trouble
- Do not hesitate - call 999 immediately with clear details of your location.
- Send someone to the nearest road to flag down the emergency services when they arrive and direct them to the incident
- Find the nearest life ring and throw it to the person. If a life ring is not available, throw in anything that could help them float, for example, a football.
- If someone goes under the water, mark on the water’s edge the place they were last seen with something like a piece of clothing.