Top tips for preventing arson
- Keep rubbish bins out of sight – for example, in a rear garden, or keep them stored in a shed or garage until collection day.
- Keep rubbish away from buildings.
- Keep matches, lighters, petrol cans and other flammable or fire-starting materials out of sight.
- Consider installing security lights – these can help deter would-be arsonists.
- Consider fitting security cameras – they act as a deterrent and can record crimes as they occur to provide police with essential evidence for identification and prosecution.
Most importantly, if you see any suspicious activity in your area, visit http://www.cambs.police.uk/ to submit an online report or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.