Have you got what it takes?
Find out if you have what it takes to be an on-call firefighter
- Are you aged 18 or over?
- Do you have a good level of all round fitness?
- Do you live or work within five minutes travelling time of an on-call fire station?
- Are you able to commit to providing a professional service to everyone in the community?
- Are you available to be on-call during the hours when your local station needs cover?
If you've answered 'yes' to all of the above, it's likely that you are exactly what we need! If you don't know what hours your local fire station needs cover, ask at the station, or enquire with the recruitment team on 01480 444500.
If you've passed the initial checklist, you can now look at our pre-application checklist (below) and our on-call firefighter guide to find out more about what is required from the role.
If you would like to discuss anything in further detail, contact our recruitment team or visit your local fire station.
- Pre-application checklist - PDF document
- On-call firefighter information guide - PDF document
- On-call firefighter job description - PDF Document
- On-call firefighter person specification - PDF Document
- Support for Speakers of other languages - Word Document.
The Service is unable to consider those applicants whose current contract of employment with another employer may require them to be moved from their normal place of work, thus affecting their ability to fulfil their contractual availability with CFRS. For example being a current member of the military reserve forces.
- For periods of more than two weeks
- For periods of more than four weeks in any calendar year
- For less than one month's notice being given.