We value and actively promote Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in all aspects of our work.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
This is achieved by:
- Recognising, respecting and listening to the varied needs of our communities and staff
- Providing different solutions for different needs and requirements
- Valuing and encouraging better understanding of people's differences and things we have in common
- Treating everyone in the spirit of our values of welcome, dignity and respect
- Ensuring employment practices are fair and non-discriminatory
- Fostering an inclusive culture
- Educating and taking appropriate action about prejudice and discrimination
- Seeking and listening to feedback
- Completing Equality Impact Assessments.
As a public service we also have a responsibility under the Equality Act 2010 to pay due regard to equality in all the decisions we make and the functions we carry out. We have a public duty to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don’t
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don’t.
We support our colleagues by giving them safe spaces to share feedback, get support and connect. We have Inclusion Ambassadors who are available for anyone to speak to, alongside working groups which we encourage colleagues to join to share their thoughts and contribute to improvements.
Our inclusion channels and ambassadors include:
- Inclusion Network
- RESPECT Champions – confidential bullying and harassment support from a group of colleagues across the organisation
- Ethnicity, Race and Nationality
- Female operational group
Cambridgeshire Equality Pledge
"We believe in the dignity of all people and their right to respect and equality of opportunity. We value the strength that comes with difference and the positive contribution that diversity brings to our community. Our aspiration is for Cambridge and the wider region to be safe, welcoming and inclusive."
We have signed up to this pledge that commits us, our partners and other organisations to appreciate and value the benefits that different communities contribute to Cambridge and the surrounding region.